After they broke my water, the contractions became very consistent and much stronger. Around 2pm or so, I knew it was not going to be much longer. I told the nurse I wanted to be checked and that I wanted an epideral. She said fine but was in no rush. I was persistent and kept asking. My contractions got severe pretty fast. I told them I needed the epideral right away and that I was going to time the man and that he should probably be sprinting his way up.
They gave me the epideral through extreme pain. During one of the contractions, I said it felt like I might need to be pushing soon. They all started to get nervous. Minutes after the epideral, I said I was ready. At first they did not move any faster because they thought the epideral just needed to kick in. Then they realized that I was not kidding when I said they need to help me because I was ready. They then started panicking and were telling me I have to wait to have the baby until the doctor gets here. I kept saying the baby is ready and they needed to get the doctor.
Our family was in the hallway outside the door and they were getting nervous because they heard people saying "get the doctor here now, well find a doctor then we need someone now." The senior resident doctor came in and I was past ready. She quick came and after 3 pushes the baby was here. The main doctor was running up the stairs trying to make it on time and he heard the bell and announcement. He was to late.
The NICU team took Jaden right away to do things and check him out. They then brought him over to me and Sal to hold for about 1 minute. They then took him to NICU. They had to do a lot of things to him. They did an Echo and found that he does truely only have half a heart developed. His blood pressure was a little lower than they wanted so they had to increase some medications. Then at 11:30pm last night they came to our room to tell us that they needed to put a respirator in because he retaining to much carbon dioxide. (We were not hoping for this. They had told me last night that I may get to nurse before the surgery, now I may not :'(
Today, they will check his brain and kidneys. We will also set the date for surgery. We will post more pictures and let you know what else we find out today. Keep praying. We will have a long road ahead of us but so far it has been easier then expected because of all the prayers and support we have.
We love you all and I know some of you have asked if you can come and visit (Susan, Gayle and Adina), you definitely can. And anyone else. Just let us know on the blog when would be best for you. I keep getting a lot of voice mail messages because I can't have it with me so here would be best.
Love to you all, Sal and Steph